"What strength would you bring to the position?" This is a standard question that you will be asked in most interviews. The best way to be prepared for this question is to sit down and write down your strengths from a previous position, or if you are a new graduate then experiences from school. Below are a few examples of strengths that can be expanded upon with your experience as they fit the job description:
- Team Player
- Time Management
- Good at managing people
- Meeting deadlines
- Always finish my tasks
- Good listener
- Deal well with difficult customers/situations
- Able to see the big picture
- Good with detail
- Pick out a skill from the job description, ie “With my strong web design, creative writing, phone skills, etc”, then expand on this strength.
- Problem Solver
- Able to juggle more than one task at a time
- I am very good at listening and putting people at ease, this allows me to deal effectively with difficult situations. In my previous position there was a customer/employee…
- Although I am a detail orientated person, I am also able to see the big picture, in my previous position (or while at school) I was assigned the task of…
- My creativity has been tremendously helpful in designing web pages over the last 5 years. One particular webpage was just not… and I…
If you are having a hard time coming up with a strength, then ask your family, friends and co-workers. You will be surprised at what they come up with. Just don’t get too bloated from all the accolades, it is important to be a little humble with this question. You don’t want to come across as having an “I’m GREAT, I’m a STAR” attitude.
Don’t stress about this question, you have applied for the job because you know you can do it. Now tell them why and how. Be a "star".