You've just walked out of your first, second or third interview. This is a good time to grab a coffee and take 15 minutes to make some notes from the interview.
- What the people were like? Write a couple of points on the back of their business cards (which you remembered to ask for).
- How did you do?
- Any questions you forgot to ask?
- Why you still want the job?
- Why you are the right person for the job?
Later that same day, sit down and compose your Thank You email. Remember, if you were interviewed by a panel then you want to send a personalized email to each person. Your Thank You should be sent out within 48 hours.
You want them to read the email and remember you. And there’s no point in sending out an email after they have made their decision.
Your email should be formal, starting with, "Dear Person's Name" and ending with, "Sincerely Your Name, Contact Info".
The body of your email should be 3 or 4 paragraphs (4 maximum).
First paragraph will be a general thank you for meeting you and what a pleasure it was to learn more about your company, etc.
Second paragraph will reiterate your skills and why you now feel like this is the job for you.
Third paragraph – “I'm looking forward to hearing from you at my number/email below.”
A few final things:
- Keep it short, sweet and positive.
- Proofread, proofread, proofread!
And the last thing to do - cross your fingers and wait for your job offer!